Petaluma is a vegan dog food manufacturer with a very strong focus on sustainability and reducing environmental impact. They produce vegan, oven-baked dog food and currently offer a single formula for adult dogs called "Roasted Peanut Butter & Sweet Potato Flavor", that's suitable for all breeds and is 100% plant-based.
Petaluma dog food is nutritionally complete. It contains all of the proteins, vitamins, minerals, fiber, and other nutrients that your dog needs to be vibrant and happy.
What is Petaluma’s approach to vegan products?
Does Petaluma make vegan products?
Yes, Petaluma makes dog kibble that is plant-based and does not contain any animal products.
Are all Petaluma products vegan?
Yes, all of the products made by Petaluma are vegan and do not contain meat or other animal-derived ingredients.
Is Petaluma a vegan business?
Yes, Petaluma is privately owned by vegans.
What else can you tell me about Petaluma?
Petaluma uses a strong, science-driven approach to develop dog foods that meet your companion animal's nutritional needs. The company focuses on reducing the environmental impact of making dog food as plant-based foods are more sustainable and better for the planet.
Petaluma buys its ingredients from certified organic farms and avoids monoculture crops like corn or soy. The dog food is formulated by veterinarian nutrition specialists to meet all of a dog's dietary needs.
The company is a certified B Corporation–which means it works to the highest standards of social and environmental performance and transparency. The two founders started the business as part of their own journey into becoming vegans.
Petaluma has embraced a completely transparent approach which includes a wealth of information to support its sustainability credentials. The company is a "1% for the Planet" member and is "Climate Neutral" certified and the products are free from genetically modified organisms.
Petaluma has commissioned and published a lifecycle report on the sustainability of its products. The Petaluma diet is estimated to generate 75% fewer greenhouse gas emissions, requires 50% less freshwater, and has 90% less of a land use impact compared to traditional, meat-based dog food diets.
How and where can I buy Petaluma vegan products?
What types of vegan products does Petaluma sell?
- Vegan dog kibble.
How can I buy Petaluma vegan products?
- You can buy Petaluma products directly from their website.
What countries are Petaluma products available in?
Petaluma products are available in the US via their website.
Frequently asked questions about Petaluma
Is Petaluma vegan dog food good for my dog?
Yes. Plant-based dog food can lessen health problems, help with disease, and reduce allergies.
Doesn’t my dog need meat?
What a dog needs is nutrition, as long as their nutritional needs are met, dogs can live very healthy, happy lives on a plant-based diet. Although dogs are omnivores, and their distant ancestors did need meat to survive, modern domestic dogs are completely able to eat and thrive on vegan dog food. The gut enzymes and genomes of dogs have evolved to let them eat and easily digest plant-based starches, fruits, vegetables, herbs, and grains.
Can my dog survive on an Petaluma vegan diet?
Yes. The Petaluma food was formulated and devised by veterinarians based on scientific principles. The food is manufactured to meet and exceed nutritional guidelines from the AAFCO.
Will my dog get enough protein and nutrients from Petaluma vegan dog food?
Yes. Petaluma provides complete, high quality, bio-available, and easily digestible protein and other nutrition.
Is Petaluma completely vegan and cruelty-free?
Yes. All of Petaluma’s products are plant-based and vegan. Their food does not contain any meat, dairy, or other animal products. None of their products are tested on animals.
What types of vegan pet food products does Petaluma make?
Petaluma makes dry dog kibble.
Where can I buy Petaluma dog food?
You can buy Petaluma products directly from their website.
Does Petaluma offer subscriptions and discounts for regular purchases?
Petaluma provides discounts on initial purchases and on regular subscriptions.
Where is Petaluma based?
Petaluma is based in Oakland, CA, and their food is manufactured in Wisconsin.
What does Petaluma say about their environmental and sustainability approaches?
There's a huge amount of information on Petaluma's website about its approach to sustainability and the environment. Petaluma says that:
We replace resource-intensive animal ingredients with plant-based alternatives that require far less land, water, and greenhouse gas emissions.
We buy certified organic ingredients to support farmers’ investments in sustainability and protect farmworkers from harmful chemicals.
We avoid ingredients like corn and soy that are commonly grown in large, industrial “monocultures” with limited crop rotation and biodiversity.
Our packaging replaces traditional plastic layers with renewable, plant-based fiber that cuts single-use plastic waste by 40%.
What are some other helpful resources from Petaluma?
- Detailed breakdowns of nutrients and other dog food facts compared to traditional diets.
- Sustainability comparisons of the differences in environmental impacts between plant-based dog foods and traditional, meat-based diets.
- A lifecycle report on the sustainability of its products.
- The Petaluma blog.
What are the contact details for Petaluma?
What is the website for Petaluma?
How do I get in touch with Petaluma?
- Email: email@example.com
Where can I find Petaluma on social media?
Learn about other vegan dog foods
- We provide objective, unbiased, factual information to help ethical vegans make more informed choices and purchasing decisions. Any opinions shared are Kindly Geek’s own.
- We have tried to ensure the accuracy and reliability of all information on Kindly Geek, but the information we provide is offered “as is.” You should always carry out your own independent research before making a decision.
- Kindly Geek claims no expertise and does not provide specific advice. You should always speak with a qualified expert, manufacturer, or others to get professional advice.
- All logos, trademarks, products, brands, quotes, relevant images, and other media, are registered and owned by the businesses mentioned in this guide. They are used under “Fair Use” guidelines, and no endorsement, opposition, or ownership of these trademarks, images, brands, quotes, businesses, products, and other media is claimed or implied by Kindly Geek.
- Further information is available in our disclaimer.